In keeping with an ongoing effort to inform all parties involved in the pork supply chain about on-farm production practices, the Federation of Animal Science Societies (FASS) will hold its second webinar. Scheduled for Monday, Oct. 8, the webinar will focus on swine castration.
Presented in conjunction with the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), the session will run from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. (CDT). The webinar is free, although space is limited and you must be registered to participate. Interested parties can register online.
FASS and AMVA held the first webinar in this series in May, which featured a discussion on gestation-sow housing. John McGlone, animal behaviorist at Texas Tech University, and FASS animal care committee chair, says anyone involved in pork products from the producer to the retail, foodservice sector would benefit from the discussions on these important animal care and production topics.
Specifically, the topics covered in the “Swine Castration” webinar will include:
- USA Finishing Herd Numbers and Distribution and the Drive for Heavier Market Weights: Paul Matzat, PIC USA
- How Pigs Are Typically Castrated: Video
- Why Is Physical Castration an Animal Welfare Issue? Gail Golab, DVM, AVMA
- Options for Castration: John McGlone, Texas Tech University
- Relieving Pain by Anesthetics and/or Analgesics: J. Hans Coetzee, Iowa State University; and Mhairi Sutherland, New Zealand
- Options for the Future – Ways to Move Forward: John McGlone, Texas Tech University
- Questions and Discussion