USDA Secretary Ed Schafer has appointed six new members of the National Agricultural Research, Extension, Education and Economics Advisory Board.
The board advises the USDA secretary and informs land-grant colleges and universities on national priorities and policies for food and agricultural research, education, extension and economics. It also holds stakeholder listening sessions and reviews all USDA-conducted and funded agricultural research, Extension or education activities.
The board is made up of 26 members, each of whom represents a specific category of U.S. agricultural stakeholders as outlined in the 2008 Food, Energy and Conservation Act. Each member serves a three-year appointment effective Oct. 1, 2008. Terms for members overlap, so each year approximately one-third of the board is replaced and/or reappointed.
New and re-appointed members are:
- Category B. Farm Cooperatives: Jean-Mari Peltier, (reappointment), president, National Grape & Wine Initiative, Sacramento, Calif.
- Category D. Plant Commodity Producer: Terry Wolf, owner, Wolf Farms & Wolf Grain Systems, Homer, Ill.
- Category E. National Aquaculture Association: Lester Myers, president/chief executive officer, Indi-Bel, d/b/a/ Delta Western, Indianola, Miss.
- Category H. National Food Science Organization: Dennis Heldman, principal, Heldman Associates, Mason, Ohio
- Category J. National Nutritional Science Society: Marianne Smith Edge, (reappointment), American Dietetic Association, Owensboro, Ky.
- Category K. 1862 Land-Grant Colleges and Universities: Frederick Cholick, professor, dean and director, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kan.