U.S. and Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs for June 2010 was 76.2 million head, according to a report by the National Agricultural Statistics Service released Thursday. This was down 3 percent from June 2009 and down 5 percent from June 2008. 

The breeding inventory, at 7.09 million head, was down 3 percent from a year ago but up slightly from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 69.1 million head, was down 3 percent from last year but up 1 percent from last quarter. 

The pig crop, at 35.2 million head, was down 3 percent from 2009 and down 3 percent from 2008. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 3.58 million head, down 5 percent from last year and down 7 percent from 2008.

U.S. inventory of all hogs and pigs on June 1 was 64.4 million head. This was down 4 percent from June 1, 2009 but up 1 percent from March 1. The breeding inventory, at 5.79 million head, was down 3 percent from last year but up slightly from the previous quarter. 

Market hog inventory, at 58.6 million head, was down 4 percent from last year but up 1 percent from
last quarter. The pig crop, at 28.2 million head, was down 3 percent from 2009 and down 2 percent from 2008.  Sows farrowed during this period totaled 2.87 million head, down 5 percent from last year and down 6 percent from 2008.

Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs on July 1 was 11.8 million head. This was down 2 percent from July 1, 2009 and down 9 percent from July 1, 2008. The breeding inventory, at 1.31 million head, was down 5 percent from last year but up slightly from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 10.5 million head, was down 2 percent from last year but up 1 percent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 7.0 million head, was down 4 percent from 2009 and down 10 percent from 2008. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 705,000 head, down 4 percent from last year and down 11 percent from 2008.

Read the full report.

Source: NASS