USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service officials report that Russia has suspended pork product imports from six U.S. pork facilities. Russian officials claim the products did not meet the country's requirements, however, they have not specifically explained their rationale for this action.
As of Dec. 15, these facilities will not be allowed to ship pork to Russia:
- Sioux Preme Pork Products, Sioux City, Iowa
- Smithfield Packing Co., Smithfield, Va.
- Chicago Meat Authority, Chicago
- Farmington Foods, Forest Park, Ill.
- Amity Packing Co., Chicago
- Abilene TX Foods, Jeffersontown, Ky.
According to an FSIS spokesperson, the Russian authorities stated in a letter simply that the plants did not meet Russian requirements, but provided no additional details.
Source: FSIS, Meatingplace.com