The National Pork Board unveiled the route for The Other White Meat Tour during the producer update session at the National Pork Industry Forum in St. Louis. The Other White Meat Tour is an experiential marketing campaign to educate consumers about all things pork.
"Our research shows that consumers want to have a positive experience with a product before buying it," says Traci Rodemeyer, NPB's manager of pork information. "The Other White Meat Tour will facilitate the positive experience between consumers and pork through sampling opportunities and personal interactions with pork producers."
The Other White Meat Tour will be traveling across the country through the traditional grilling season of May through September, stopping at high-traffic consumer events that reach a large percentage of the Checkoff's target audience, females 25 to 49 years old with kids in the home and who want to be better cooks.
The tour route includes the following events:
- May 9-11 - Wichita River Festival, Wichita, Kan.
- May 15-18 - Memphis in May BBQ Battle, Memphis, Tenn.
- May 24-25 - Taste of Cincinnati, Cincinnati
- May 30 - June 1 - River Splash, Milwaukee
- June 5-8 - Chicago Blues Festival, Chicago
- June 13-15 - Michigan International Speedway, Brooklyn, Mich.
- June 21-22 - 16th Annual Safeway BBQ Battle, Washington, D.C.
- June 28-29 - Sunoco Welcomes America Taste of Philadelphia, Philadelphia
- July 3-6 - Boston Harborfest, Boston
- July 12-13 - Taste of Buffalo, Buffalo, N.Y.
- July 16-20 - Ann Arbor Arts Festival, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- July 25-27 - NASCAR Allstate 400 at the Brickyard, Indianapolis
- Aug.1-3 - Kimball Art Fair, Park City, Utah
- Aug. 5-9 - Hot August Nights, Reno, Nev.
- Aug. 15-17 - California State Fair, Sacramento, Calif.
- Aug. 23-24 - PIER 39, San Francisco
- Aug. 29 - Sept. 1 - Taste of Colorado, Denver
- Sept. 4-7 - Yellow Daisy Festival, Stone Mountain, Ga.
- Sept. 11-14 - LPGA Bell Micro Classic, Mobile, Ala.
- Sept. 20-21 - Old Pecan Street Festival, Austin, Texas
- Sept. 26-28 - State Fair of Texas, Dallas
- Oct. 3-5 - OktoberFest, Tempe, Ariz.
- Oct. 9-12 - Albuquerque International Balloon Festival, Albuquerque, N.M.
"Pork's presence at these large events will definitely be noticed," says Barb Determan, a pork producer from Early, Iowa and member of NPB's Demand Enhancement Committee. "Along with sampling pork, our exhibit will be entertaining, engaging and educational."
In addition to face-to-face interaction with consumers, The Other White Meat Tour will be fully supported through an integrated campaign of public relations, advertising and retail promotions.
"The tour allows us to integrate all of our marketing efforts to directly impact domestic pork expenditures," says Rodemeyer. "In addition to local radio advertising and customized retail promotions, we will also work with local chefs and media to educate consumers about pork and The Other White Meat Tour."
The Pork Checkoff is working with Marketing Werks, an industry leader in experiential marketing. Marketing Werks has executed successful tours for consumer brands such as Hershey's, Char-Broil, Verizon and Chevrolet.
Source: National Pork Board