Des Moines, IA Wed Feb 13, 2013 USDA Market News
USDA Carlot Meat 4:00 Summary, Compared to Previous Day
Prices in dollars per hundredweight, Equated to FOB Omaha Basis
NATIONAL BOXED BEEF CUTOUT LM_XB403
Boxed Beef cutout values steady on moderate demand and offerings. Select and
Choice rib, chuck, and loin cuts steady to firm while round cuts weak to lower.
Beef trimmings lower on light to moderate demand and offerings.
Estimated composite cutout value of Choice 1-3 600-900 lbs carcasses up 0.23
At 183.68; Select 1-3 600-900 lbs carcasses up 0.02 at 179.32; based on 103.30
loads of Choice cuts, 47.98 loads of Select cuts, 14.93 loads of Trimmings, and
48.85 loads of coarse ground trimmings.
CARCASS PRICE EQUIVALENT INDEX VALUE NW_LS410
Estimated carcass price equivalent value of Choice 1-3 600-900 lbs carcasses
Dn 0.22 at 176.80; Select 1-3 600-900 lbs carcasses dn 0.33 at 171.83.
Current index reflects the equivalent of 149,230 head of cattle.
NATIONAL 5 DAY-ROLLING CUTTER COW CUTOUT LM_XB405
The Cutter cow carcass gross cutout value was estimated at 166.89 up 0.46.
BY-PRODUCT DROP VALUE NW_LS441
Hide and offal from a typical slaughter steer was estimated at 13.63,
NATIONAL CARLOT PORK NW_LS500
Sales reported on 98.50 loads of pork cuts and 5.0 loads of trim/process
Compared to Tuesday's Close: Fresh 1/4" trimmed bone-in loins firm;
butts steady; sknd hams 20-27 lbs steady to 2.00 lower; sdls bellies not tested;
lean trimmings generally steady. Trading moderate, with mostly light demand
and moderate to heavy offerings.
*Calculations for a 200 lb Pork Carcass 53-54 percent lean 0.65" -0.80" back
fat at last rib.* **79.96 dn 2.68.** Loins bone in fresh 1/4 inch trim 21# DN-
LGT 113.00; Hams bone in trimmed, 20-23 lbs trim spec 1 74.00.
CARLOT LAMB CARCASS LM_XL501
DAILY CHOICE AND PRIME, YG 1-4 Head 762
Weight Head Wt Avg
45-DN 25 435.88
45-55# 25 326.80
55-65# 151 282.56
65-75# 153 256.20
75-85# 215 237.63
85-UP 193 212.56
ESTIMATED DAILY LIVESTOCK SLAUGHTER SJ_ LS710
Cattle: 114,000; Calves: 3,000; Hogs: 424,000; Sheep: 7,000
Source: USDA Market News, Des Moines, IA
USDA Carlot Meat 4:00 Summary
- Higher production costs mean fewer new, young farmers
- New research shows promise in controlling feral hogs
- Ag markets remained weak Wednesday morning
- U.S. appeals court upholds federal meat labeling regulation
- Photo of the day: Say 'hello' to the next generation
- The Maschhoffs buys two JBS sow farms
- Okla. Attorney General keeps pressure on HSUS
- Okla. Attorney General calls out HSUS on tornado donations
- Doane Market Watch: Hog shortage likely to persist
- Meeting to focus on food, farm and fuel
- Crop markets are starting the week on a generally firm note
- Hog Outlook: Another month of record retail pork prices