Smithfield Packing Company of Clinton, NC, and Tar Heel, NC, is voluntarily recalling 216,238 pounds of Portobello Mushroom flavored pork loins because some of the product may contain an unlabeled and known dairy allergen, whey. Portobello Mushroom Flavored Pork Loin Filets affected by this recall were distributed in retail outlets in Alabama, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.
Products, producing establishment number, and use-by-dates of affected products are listed below:
• 70800067380 Smithfield Portobello Mushroom Pork Loin Filet Pre Priced, EST. 413, Use By dates December 26, 2010 through June 3, 2011
• The EST number is printed on the price label affixed to the upper right-hand corner of the front of the package. It is present in two locations - once inside the inspection legend (the circular icon stating ‘U.S. Inspected and Passed by Department of Agriculture EST. 413’), and the second just above the barcode.
• The Use By date is located on the same price label, directly underneath the product description.
• 70800748350 Smithfield Portobello Mushroom Pork Loin Filet 27.2 oz, EST. 18079, Use By dates January 16, 2011 through April 24, 2011
• EST. 18079 is printed on a small sticker affixed to the back of the package.
• The Use By date is located on this same sticker on the back of the package.
“We recently discovered during a routine label review that one of our products may contain the undeclared and known dairy allergen, whey. As a precautionary measure, Smithfield immediately reported it to the USDA and has issued a voluntary recall,” said Dennis Pittman, director of corporate communications. “Smithfield provides safe, high-quality food to its customers – that is our responsibility and our commitment.”
Because of the potential health hazard, Smithfield urges consumers who have purchased these products not to eat them and to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions about the recall can visit www.smithfield.com/news or call Smithfield at (877) 933-4625. Media with questions can call (404) 367-2740.
Consumers with food safety questions may phone the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-888-674-6854. The hotline is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day.
The company has received no reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.
Source: Smithfield Foods