The American Association of Swine Veterinarians provided an opportunity for fifteen veterinary students to compete for awards in the Veterinary Student Poster Competition at the association’s 42nd Annual Meeting in Phoenix, Ariz. Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica sponsored the competition, offering awards totaling $4000.
Based on scores received in the original judging of abstracts submitted for the AASV Student Seminar, the top fifteen abstracts not selected for oral presentation at the Annual Meeting are eligible to compete in the poster competition.
Boehringer Ingelheim announced the following awards during the AASV Luncheon on March 7th:
$500 Award -- Evan Van Beusekom, University of Minnesota – Top student poster entitled “Euthanasia by electrocution in 5 kg to 15 kg nursery pigs.”
- Hannah Lowe, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine
- Andrea Pitkin, University of Minnesota
- Jessica Abbott, Iowa State University
- Amber Hazel, University of Minnesota
- Chase Stahl, Iowa State University
- Kyle Alberti, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine
- Natalie Baker, Purdue University
- Joshua Duff, North Carolina State University
- Mihaly Kertesz, University of Budapest (Hungary)
- Gilbert Patterson, University of Pennsylvania
- Abigail Redalen, University of Minnesota
- Michael Slattery, Iowa State University
- Sarah Taylor, University of Guelph
- Lisa Thompson, North Carolina State University
In addition to the poster competition awards, each student poster participant received a $250 travel stipend from Alpharma Animal Health.