Do you know which stories were the most-read on PorkNetwork.com? Here is a look at the top 10 news stories:
- Christensen Farms’ CEO dies unexpectedly | Originally posted on November 5, 2012
Robert "Bob" Christensen, 51, chief executive officer of Christensen Farms, died Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012, from an apparent heart attack while on a hunting trip. Read more.
- Domino’s Pizza says “no” to HSUS | Originally posted on April 26, 2012
This week, Domino’s Pizza shareholders voted to reject a resolution offered by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) to require its pork suppliers to stop housing gestating sows in stalls. Perhaps just as surprising was the margin of the vote. Read more.
- CCF video spoofs HSUS ad | Originally posted on May 1, 2012
“For just $19 a month, you can join the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) in our fight to hire more lawyers,” -- so goes the message in a 2:30-minute video from the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) and HumaneWatch.org that spoofs familiar HSUS television ads that feature abandoned and abused dogs and cats. Read more.
- HSUS to sue six pork production companies | Originally posted on July 11, 2012
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) reports that it intends to sue a range of pork production companies, citing “unreported releases of hazardous pollutant ammonia” as the impetus for the legal action. However, peppered within its own news release are multiple references to gestation-sow stalls, adding a new dimension to its tactics against the housing system. Read more.
- HSUS targets Seaboard, Prestage and Wal-Mart | Originally posted on January 31, 2012
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) has released an undercover video taken at two swine systems near Goodwell, Okla.-- Seaboard Foods’ and Prestage Farms’ breeding and gestation facilities. HSUS also filed complaints with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and Federal Trade Commission involving statements on Seaboard’s website. Read more.
- HSUS releases video shot at Wyoming Premium Farms | Originally posted on May 8, 2012
Capitalizing on the attention of Safeway announcing its new directive regarding gestation-sow housing, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) released an undercover video on Tuesday that was shot at Wyoming Premium Farms (WPF) in April. Investigations are underway, and the industry responds. Read more.
- Activist’s video turns lens on Hawkeye Sow Centers, Hormel | Originally posted on February 16, 2012
Another animal activist undercover video surfaced on Wednesday, taken at a Hawkeye Sow Centers (HSC) swine breeding facility near Leland, Iowa. Read more.
- Thank Domino’s; order a pizza | Originally posted on May 14, 2012
A grassroots movement is afoot among those who support U.S. agriculture. More specifically, social media is sending out the word far and wide to support Domino’s Pizza this weekend, May 18-20, by ordering a pie—or several. Read more.
- Four arrested in Ohio/Indiana hog thefts | Originally posted on February 7, 2012
Four adults were arrested in the theft of hogs from an Ohio facility, which were shipped across the state line and presented for sale to a livestock company in Indiana. Read more.
- Michigan’s feral swine control spurs wild debate | Originally posted on April 17, 2012
Things are heating up over the Invasive Species Order (ISO) initiated in Michigan to address the exploding feral pig population. Read more.