Elwynn Taylor, Iowa State University meteorologist, explains that the impact of the drought could continue if the states of Iowa and Illinois have less than 18 inches of moisture to recharge droughty soils by the end of planting 2013, and that will require above normal rainfall as of Oct. 1 through the end of June.
Drought could continue without soil recharge
- Livestock Slaughter: Pork production drops 2%
- Cold Storage: Frozen pork supplies down 3%
- Ag markets closed mostly higher again Friday
- Hog Outlook: Farrow-to-finishers earned $107.25 per head in July
- Slaughter, hog weight adjustments raise second-half production
- WTO rules against U.S. in meat label fight