Elwynn Taylor, Iowa State University meteorologist, explains that the impact of the drought could continue if the states of Iowa and Illinois have less than 18 inches of moisture to recharge droughty soils by the end of planting 2013, and that will require above normal rainfall as of Oct. 1 through the end of June.
Drought could continue without soil recharge
- Cattle futures bucked the bearish ag market trend Thursday
- Drought wars: Calif. drought vs. Dust Bowl
- Lighter Side: Rancher selling feral pork
- UK feed wheat purchased by Murphy Brown
- Thursday's export data had mixed crop market implications
- Commentary: Ag’s leading role in the international marketplace