Artificial Insemination: 2001 Pork Industry Structure Study
The use of artificial insemination has increased dramatically in the last three years (Table 2). The 2001 Pork Industry Structure Study shows that nearly 70 percent of all litters farrowed in 2000 were sired by AI compared to less than half of the litters in 1997. The use of AI tends to increase as the operation’s size increases.
- Livestock Slaughter: Pork production drops 2%
- Cold Storage: Frozen pork supplies down 3%
- Ag markets closed mostly higher again Friday
- Hog Outlook: Farrow-to-finishers earned $107.25 per head in July
- Slaughter, hog weight adjustments raise second-half production
- WTO rules against U.S. in meat label fight