World Pork Expo is a busy time, but it’s always wise to schedule some time to attend one or several of the informational seminars presented at the Pork Academy.
The National Pork Board hosts the lineup of seminars featuring industry experts on a variety of topics. You will find all the seminars within the Varied Industries Building, Room C.
On Wednesday and Thursday, at noon venture up to the Varied Industries Building Upper Level for the Business Seminar. A barbeque lunch will be provided, and from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., you can get the weather outlook from Elwynn Taylor, Iowa State University, as well as the pork economic outlook from Steve Meyer, president of Paragon Economics.
Here’s a look at the WPX seminar lineup.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6
- 9:15 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. — Doing What’s Right Versus Looking for the Camera. Lynn Becker, pork producer; Sherrie Niekamp and Cindy Cunningham, NPB
- 10:15 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. — Transport Bedding: Can Less Be Better? Avi Sapkota, Texas Tech University
- 11:15 a.m. - Noon — PRRS Regional Elimination: Procedures for taking PRRS out of the Breeding Herd. Bob Morrison, DVM, University of Minnesota
- 1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m. — PRRS Biosecurity: Pros and Cons of Filters. Jim McKean, DMV, Iowa State University; Bryan Myers, DVM, Pipestone Clinic
- 2:30 p.m. - 3:15 p.m. — Feed Ingredient Availability and Cost. Joel DeRouchey, Kansas State University
THURSDAY, JUNE 7
- 9:15 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. — Advances in PRRS Research. Butch Baker, DVM, Iowa State University
- 10:15 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. — The Threat of Foot-and-mouth Disease to the Swine Industry. Dermot Hayes and Jim Roth, Iowa State University
- 11:15 a.m. - Noon — Leading by Example: Showing We Care at the Barn Level. Bryn Jensson, NPB
- 1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m. — PRRS Biosecurity: Pros and Cons of Filters. Jim McKean, DVM, Iowa State University; Bryan Myers, DVM, Pipestone Clinic
- 2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. — Export Issues and World Markets. Becca Hendricks and Paul Sundberg, DVM, NPB; Laurie Hueneke, National Pork Producers Council; Max Covaliu, corporate chef for U.S. Meat Export Federation-Mexico
For updates, go to worldpork.org.