Beyond establishing the safety committee, management also plays an important role in maintaining a safety culture within the operation.
The management's responsibilities for a safety committee should include:
- Establishing a committee of five to seven employees.
- Ensuring that the group represents pro-duction, office person-nel and management, with the greatest representation from high-risk areas.
- Setting the commit-tee's policies, guide-lines, goals, responsi-bilities and authority.
- Introducing the committee company-wide; keeping people informed.
- Measuring the committee's success and impact on the organization.
- Providing necessary training.
- Reviewing safety incentives.
- Most importantly, promptly acting on any committee recommendations.