Have you had an animal-welfare audit conducted on your operation?

The National Pork Board officially rolled out its Swine Welfare Assurance Program last August. Perhaps there are any number of reasons why you haven’t, but a likely one is that you don’t know who to contact.

The first step in initiating SWAP is establishing a relationship with a Certified SWAP Educator – or what’s known as a CSE. These are the individuals who conduct the on-farm assessment.

Most producers already know or are working with a CSE (or a potential CSE) – your veterinarian. Local Extension agents or local ag educators also might already be certified. If they’re not, you can encourage them to do so.

You can go to NPB’s Web site at, www.porkboard.org   to find the CSE closest to your pork production operation. Once at NPB’s site, click on the “SWAP logo” near the bottom right-hand corner, then scroll down until you see the “Locate SWAP Educator” heading. Enter your ZIP code and select a “search distance,” then click the button labeled “Locate CSE.” The names and phone numbers of certified SWAP educators in your area will appear on a new screen.

If you don’t have Internet access, are away from your computer or simply prefer to make a phone call, contact the Pork Checkoff Service Center at (800) 456-7675 to obtain information about Certified SWAP Educators in your area.

For more information about SWAP, contact Paul Sundberg at (515) 223-2764 or e-mail him at  Paul.Sundberg@porkboard.org.