As a manager or employee, some of your actions can have long-term negative ramifications on the workplace atmosphere and even your position within the company, says Don Tyler, management consultant, Profitable Solutions, Clarks Hill, Ind.
Here’s a look at a few areas that can quickly erode your credibility and respect:
- Gossip and spread negative information about co-workers.
- Protect poor employees.
- Misplace employees’ loyalty.
- Be dishonest.
- Share salary or other personal employment information with others.
- Refuse to work as a part of the team.
- Prefer conflict over camaraderie.
- Produce inconsistent performance.
- Complain about problems instead of working to find a solution.
- Give only minimal effort.