Americans are projected to spend $2.26 billion in Easter treats in 2014, and among the top sweet confectioneries are the iconic Peeps.
ABC 15 Arizona reports that Peeps marshmallow candies have reigned as the top non-chocolate Easter candy for more than 20 years. To celebrate the popular treat, Just Born, the company behind Peeps, released an inforgraphic looking at Peeps by the numbers.
Here’s a quick look at how Peeps chicks add up:
- Enough Peeps are produced annually to circle the earth twice.
- The first Peeps chicks hatched in 1953 and took 27 hours to be created by hand with a pastry tube, one at a time.
- Today, 5.5 million Peeps are produced daily on average, and thanks to an automated process, it now takes just 6 minutes to create one Peeps chick.
- Original Peeps chickens and bunnies were available in just yellow or white varieties, but today, Peeps can be found in six colors: yellow, purple, pink, orange, green and blue.
- Each Peeps chick has 28 calories and zero grams of fat.