I scream, you scream, we all scream for…bacon ice cream?
With summer just around the corner, here is a look at some unique flavors from across the country (and world) that are generally more savory than sweet:
- Bacon – Yes, sweet and savory fuse together in an ice cream offered at Udder Delight in Dresher, Pa. Of course, you can do this yourself by mixing in crispy bacon with the ice cream flavor of your choice. Sonic started offering a peanut butter bacon flavor with their summer shake menu last year.
- Beer – From Shiner Bock Beer ice cream in Austin, Texas, to a cherrywood-smoked Porter Beer flavor in Nashville, this adults-only flavor is gaining in popularity.
- Tomato Cherry – From Häagen-Dazs Japan, the flavor combines the “natural sweetness” of tomato with the fruity flavor of cherry.
- Carrot Orange – Another savory flavor from Häagen-Dazs Japan slated to be released soon, the Carrot Orange is exactly as it sounds – it combines the “gentle” flavor of carrot with the fresh, refreshing taste of orange.
- Pear with blue cheese – According to Salt and Straw, it combines the “delicate, sweet flavor” of Oregon Trail Northwest Bartlett Pears with “perfectly-aged” crumbles of one of the world’s best blue cheese. Of course, this flavor is relatively normal compared to the company’s other ice cream flavors of Mint Leaves and Sea Urchin Meringues and Rhubarb Crumble with Toasted Anise.
- Brisket – That’s not a typo. Brisket drippings and pieces of smoked brisket are used as a base for this smoky ice cream, available at Firefly in Washington, D.C.
- Corn on the Cob – Summertime just isn’t complete with corn on the cob, and now you can enjoy it cold, too. Max and Mina’s Ice Cream takes freshly shucked corn and whips it into a sweet cream.
- Sriracha Popcorn – As if sriracha alone wasn’t enough, Hay Rosie in Brooklyn, N.Y., takes it one step further by adding in popcorn, too. Crazy or tasty, you’ll have to decide.
- Lobster – What could be a better addition to butter-flavored ice cream than chunks of cooked lobster meat? According to “Good Morning America,” this flavor is the most popular item for Ben & Bill’s Chocolate Emporium to ship.
The Internet has collectively crinkled its nose and said, “ew” to some of these flavors, but tell us what you think in the comment section below.