Star Wars meets agriculture
A long time ago in a barn far, far away, farmers yearned to learn more about their crops and livestock while also saving some time and money. Photo Credit: LucasFilm.Ltd Robots like R2-D2 and C-3PO are changing farming. That moment of technological advancement has arrived, with precision agriculture delivering sensors, robots and monitors that rival those out of the science fiction classic Star Wars. It’s as if we’ve left the days of guessing and backbreaking labor for a more automated and accurate era. During the last week of June, I visited farms and learned about... View Blog Post »
Dead on arrival
Life and death are things you learn about at an early age growing up on a farm or ranch. Over the weekend I was reminded of the importance of those lessons. On Friday, during my trip home as I rounded the curves of the gravel road near the Bechtel Ranch cow pasture, I stopped. I stopped not just to watch the sunset and take pictures of my “girls,” but also to be sure that no calves were on the ground yet. Much to my surprise I found a calf nursing one of our cows about a quarter of a mile into the... View Blog Post »
- How to respond so consumers will listen
- Practice leads to perfection
- What food trucks say about Americans’ love for food
- Global food: Waste not, want not
- "And" is better.
- Follow your passion
- Why Agriculture?
- Five things you need to know about the Affordable Care Act
- Honoring Heroes
- Beer-drinking boar gets belligerent
- Meers: Nursery feed allocation, part 2
- What a difference in a decade...
- “Mom at the Meat Counter” talks about pork quality
- To HSUS: Your members should be furious
- Where facts are facts
- Create social media "crop circles"
- Self-Exploration Drives Success
- The war on animal agriculture
- Real people
- Protect your farm & remove the gag