Stevens: Two-hundred million pounds of pork
I had the pleasure of meeting McDonald’s Corporation President and CEO Don Thompson this past weekend before he spoke to a packed house at the Purdue University Agricultural Alumni Association annual meeting in Indianapolis. Urged to give the keynote speech by fellow Purdue University trustee and past National Pork Producers Council (NPPC) president John D. Hardin, Jr., Thompson had some thought-provoking comments about the world's largest foodservice company. McDonald’s serves 70 million customers every day in 119 countries and employs 1.8 million people across the globe. An imposing figure, Thomson looks like he could have been a linebacker for Purdue’s football... View Blog Post »
Stevens: Antibiotic resistance is misunderstood
Hot on the heels of the Food & Drug Administration’s (FDA) decision to limit antibiotics in farm animals (including pigs), comes a white paper produced by the National Institute for Animal Agriculture (NIAA). Titled “Bridging the Gap between Animal Health and Human Health,” the paper offers good observations on the use of antibiotics, in humans as well as animals, including companion animals. You can find the paper here. At 15 pages, it is worth the effort, especially the one-and-a-half-page executive summary. For pork producers, a couple of statements stand out. The first: “If you think you understand antimicrobial resistance, it hasn’t been... View Blog Post »
Stevens: Trade deals portend good future for producers
Editor’s Note: We are pleased to introduce Roger Stevens as a new PorkNetwork blogger. Roger is president of Stevens & Associates, Inc., a communications consulting firm based in Indianapolis, Ind. He graduated from Purdue University with a B.S. degree in Agricultural Communications and has worked with state and national agricultural organizations for more than 25 years. Roger is married to Jane Ade Stevens, CEO of the Indiana Soybean Alliance, the Indiana Corn Marketing Council and the Indiana Corn Growers Association. Roger’s Pork Policy Notes commentary will focus on policy issues related to pork production. His insight will help producers stay... View Blog Post »
- Blog: The worship of mediocrity
- And the winner is…
- Making the most of college, Part 1
- Baise: Rambo takes on American agriculture
- Through the fire...
- The Mom at the Meat Counter is expecting
- Eight is enough
- Pork snacks banned!
- Mom at the Meat Counter: A lesson on pig housing and maternity pens
- Jobs in agriculture
- What is agriculture's future?
- The loss of “stockmanship”
- Chipotle and Panera: Food for thought
- Baise: Contaminants in livestock and poultry manure
- Federal Policy: Why it matters to agriculture
- Stevens: Trade deals portend good future for producers
- The versatile and economical Boston butt
- Meredith: My hope for ag in 2014: Christmas Jammies
- Renderers are the original recyclers
- Where's the accountability?
Ikadan System USA Inc.