Eurogroup for Animals, a European animal-welfare group that represents animal organizations in all European Union member states, announced late last week that it has signed a declaration that sets up the Transatlantic Animal Welfare Council. The goal of this action is to ensure that animal-welfare standards are included in transatlantic trade.
“Eurogroup and its members have led the development of this groundbreaking new initiative and they are working to establish a forum that will strengthen the relationship and cooperation between animal-welfare groups in Europe and the United States and optimize resources by sharing knowledge, expertise and experience on animal welfare,” the organization says on its Web site.
In addition to Eurogroup for Animals, the agreement was also signed by:
- Animal Welfare Institute
- Compassion in World Farming
- Global Animal Partnership
- The Humane Society of the United States
- Humane Society International
- International Fund for Animal Welfare
- Royal Society for the Protection of Animals
- World Society for the Protection of Animals
Source: Eurogroup for Animals